Saturday, September 3, 2016

What are you reading?

September 3, 2016

Books 

  • Volume 10 of A History of Western Philosophy: The Twentieth Century to Wittgenstein and Sartre by W. T. Jones.  I haven't read the first 9 volumes; I found this one in a used book store.  But I like Jones approach and he makes things clear.  I may pick up the other volumes when I can.  Now on page 41.
  • The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  Good new fashioned space opera.  That is, all the wonders of space opera plus interesting aliens, well developed characters (some of them female!).  Lots of fun. Now on page 360
  • Frederick the Great: King of Prussia by Tim Blanning.  A very good bio of a remarkable ruler, but I wish there were more maps (I often wish this!).  p. 205.
  • Tips on Cardplay by Mike Lawrence.  Lawrence is one of the best bridge writers alive.  Play is the worst part of my game.  This book also includes some tips on defense. p. 73.
  • Google Blogger for Dummies by Susan Gunelius.  All about Google Blogger!  I like it. But I'm still learning. p. 91.
  • Modernity and its Discontents  by Steven B. Smith.  About the Enlightenment and counter Enlightenment and how to have the best of both.  About 19% through (on my Kindle, no page numbers).
  • Perdido Street Station  by China Mievelle.  High level science fiction. This one is a bit on hold.  Page 22.
  • Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum by Lee Wilkinson.  Takes a cognitive behavioral approach.  Not my favorite approach, but it summarizes the method well.  16% through (no page numbers on my Kindle). 

Periodicals

3 comments:

  1. Dude! You're back!

    My big recent accompishment was 'Infinite Jest', David Foster Wallace. Which took me weeks but totally worth it. Any serious reader needs to tackle this.

    Just finished Donleavy's 'The Ginger Man' for book club, which I liked but found uneven.

    Now reading Raymond Chandler, 'The Little Sister' ... Phillip Marlowe but not at the same level of 'The Big Sleep'. Also reading some Alan Watts.

    Tapley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of those. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading Bamber Gascoigne's Dynasties of China in the Folio Edition for the full sensory experience. I do it for a set time in the evenings. Mostly I listen to books on my Computer, currently Ha-Joon Chang's Bad Samaritans.


    ReplyDelete