Saturday, September 17, 2016

What are you reading: September 17, 2016

Books 

  • Volume 10 of A History of Western Philosophy: The Twentieth Century to Wittgenstein and Sartre by W. T. Jones.  I haven't read the first 9 volumes; I found this one in a used book store.  But I like Jones approach and he makes things clear.  I may pick up the other volumes when I can.  Now on page 54.
  • Frederick the Great: King of Prussia by Tim Blanning.  A very good bio of a remarkable ruler, but I wish there were more maps (I often wish this!) and the descriptions of battles could be more detailed.  p. 281.
  • Tips on Cardplay by Mike Lawrence.  Lawrence is one of the best bridge writers alive.  Play is the worst part of my game.  This book also includes some tips on defense. p. 78.
  • I finished Google Blogger for Dummies by Susan Gunelius.  All about Google Blogger!  I like it. But I'm still learning. Full review is here: http://peterfsblogs.blogspot.com/2016/09/book-review-google-blogger-for-dummies.html.
  • I also finished Modernity and its Discontents  by Steven B. Smith.  It's a good discussion of a variety of philosophers and authors, but it could use more cohesiveness. Full review is here: http://peterfsblogs.blogspot.com/2016/09/book-review-modernity-and-its.html
  • Perdido Street Station  by China Mievelle.  High level science fiction. This one is a bit on hold.  Page 22.
  • Overcoming Anxiety and Depression on the Autism Spectrum by Lee Wilkinson.  Takes a cognitive behavioral approach.  Not my favorite approach, but it summarizes the method well.  16% through (no page numbers on my Kindle). 
  • How to Reassess your Chess by Jeremy Silman.  A really good chess book. p 25.
  • The Dream of Reason by Anthony Gottlieb.  A history of philosophy from its Thales to the Renaissance.  I just started but so far, so good. page 9.
  • Playmates by Robert B. Parker.  Another in the Spenser series. p. 53.

Periodicals

Your turn

Use the comments to tell me what you are reading and what you think of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment