Saturday, December 2, 2017

What are you reading? 12/2/17

Here is what I am reading now.  Share what you are reading in comments.

  • A New History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny. This is a very good history of the subject, well written and clear.  Kenny follows an unusual strategy in that he takes two approaches: He first covers each era in a more-or-less chronological order, then he looks at the big topics of that era in a systematic way.  I am on p. 187.
  • The Great Formal Machinery Works: Theories of Deduction and Computation at the Origins of the Digital Age by Jan van Plato.  An examination of formal logic and computation.  I am on p. 69.
  • High Price: A Neuroscientist's Journey of Self-Discovery that Challenges Everything you Know About Drugs and Society by Carl Hart. Why everything you know (or thought you knew) about illicit drugs is wrong. I am on p. 119. 
  • Breaking Point by Jefferson Bass, which is part of a series of crime novels about  the Body Farm in Tennessee. I finished it and reviewed it.
  • I started and finished The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett, which introduces one of my favorite characters: Tiffany Aching.  My review
  • I started the next book in the Tiffany Aching series: A Hat Full of Sky I am on p. 119.
  • A Column of Fire by Ken Follett, which is a novel set in Elizabethan times. I am on p. 138 but I will probably stop, I am not enjoying it so much.
  • I finished Out of the Shadow of a Giant: Hooke, Halley and the Birth of Science by John and Mary Gribbin.  My review.
  • I started The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley. An old fashioned detective yarn.  I am on p. 52.
  • I started Lenin by Viktor Sebestyen.  So far, it's very good. I am on p. 133. 
  • I started Escape Clause by John Sandford.  The latest in the Virgil Flowers series.  Good stuff. I am on p. 145.

That's what I'm reading.  What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment