Saturday, November 18, 2017

What are you reading? November 18, 2017

Here is what I am reading now.  Share what you are reading in comments.

  • A New History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny. This is a very good history of the subject, well written and clear.  Kenny follows an unusual strategy in that he takes two approaches: He first covers each era in a more-or-less chronological order, then he looks at the big topics of that era in a systematic way.  I am on p. 149.
  • The Cartel by Don Winslow.  A novel about the drug cartels of Mexico. Amazingly violent.  Sort of a 21st century The Godfather.  I finished this, and reviewed it.
  • Handbook of Missing Data Methodology ed. by Geert Moelenberghs, Garret Fitzmaurice et al. A fairly technical treatment of the best ways to deal with missing data.  I am on p. 61.
  • The Great Formal Machinery Works: Theories of Deduction and Computation at the Origins of the Digital Age by Jan van Plato.  An examination of formal logic and computation.  I am on p. 39.
  • The Essential Guide to Freelance Writing by Zachary Petit. I am trying to do some more writing and maybe even selling it.  This is a good guide.  I am on p. 61.
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons.  Science fiction.  I'm not sure how I avoided this book for so long.  I am about 80% through (no page numbers on the Kindle version).
  • High Price: A Neuroscientist's Journey of Self-Discovery that Challenges Everything you Know About Drugs and Society by Carl Hart. Why everything you know (or thought you knew) about illicit drugs is wrong. I am on p. 74. 
  • I started Breaking Point by Jefferson Bass, which is part of a series of crime novels about  the Body Farm in Tennessee.

That's what I'm reading.  What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment