Saturday, June 16, 2018

What are you reading? June 16, 2018

  • Started this week
    • Close Your Eyes by Iris Johansen and Roy Johansen. A mystery/suspense novel with an interesting protagonist.  I am on p. 294.
    • Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris. I am on p. 11.
  • In progress this week
    • The Machiavellian Moment by J. G. A. Pocock. I am on p. 25. Multidisciplinary social science/history.   
    • This Idea is Brilliant edited by John Brockman.  Short essays on a wide range of ideas by experts. I am on p. 165.
    • A New History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny. This is a very good history of the subject, well written and clear.  Kenny follows an unusual strategy in that he takes two approaches: He first covers each era in a more-or-less chronological order, then he looks at the big topics of that era in a systematic way.  I am on p. 629, in the Enlightenment.
    • The Drawing of Trump and its Postponement by Fred L. Karpin.  I am on p. 53. A classic on the play of the hand in bridge.  
  • On hold this week (books started but put aside, without prejudice)
    •  Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker. Why the Enlightenment is still important, why life is still good.  I am on p. 55. 
    • Death in Brittany by Jörg Bong.  A mystery. I am on p. 25. 
  • Finished this week
    • The Empty Quarter by David Robbins.  Spy stuff.  My review.

No comments:

Post a Comment